Help for a neophyte ?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Dec 8 17:29:50 EST 2006

Neil asked when Norfolk and Western gave in to diesel power. I think
the "why" explains the "when."
N&W was a model of efficiency when it came to designing and operating
steam locomotives. But when N&W became the last class 1 railroad
operating steam on a large scale, they had to face the problem of
parts made by outside suppliers. I have read in print that the price
for parts, even those that N&W started to make in-house, doubled and
quadrupled in price. In the larger picture of things, the merger
movement was well under way before the end of steam. There is no way
the company could have achieved motive power flexibility by retaining
steam any longer as the railroad shortly expanded west of the
Mississippi and north into Canada. That is also why the Virginian
electrification did not fit in this picture. Just my opinion, but
the increase in train tonnage alone in the 1960's would have doomed
A's and Y6's without a lot of double heading.

I know a certain N&W president gets the blame for ending steam
operations and curtailing passenger service, but the handwriting was
on the wall. Just because a company consistently turned in tidy
profits was no excuse to be sentimental about change.

Rick Morrison