Class J's - trackworthiness? UP set up?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 3 07:59:46 EDT 2006

UP's FEF's (844) had lateral motion boxes on the first
three axles, allowing for 3/4", 5/16" and 5/16" play
(The Mighty 800, Kratville, p47). This effectively
reduced their rigid wheelbase, which otherwise would
have been 22' long.

On the Big Boys, the same setup was used, lateral
motion on the first three axles of each engine (Big
Boy, Kratville, p49). This reduced the rigid
wheelbase which would have been 18'-3".

The Js did not have this feature, so their 18'-9"
wheelbase was the controlling dimension.

Dave Stephenson