Class J's - trackworthiness?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Oct 1 12:53:20 EDT 2006

I'll take a shot at your question. I read that N & W main line trackage was
re-gauged after the steam era ended. This would have reduced the spread on
curves, no longer needed to suit the effective wheelbase of main line steam,
such as the J. The accidents cited in the story took place in the 80's and
90's; suggesting that the J's might not have been 'picky'; but that they were
operating under 'borderline' conditions which did not exist 40 years earlier.

Jerry Crosson