Class J's - trackworthiness?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Sep 30 22:08:14 EDT 2006

This is an excerpt from Wikepedia that I stumbled across...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Western_611

The 70" drivers were very small for a locomotive that was to pull trains at over 100 mph. To overcome this, the wheelbase was made extremely rigid, lightweight rods were used, and the counterbalancing was extremely good. The negative affect of this was that it made the locomotives very picky about good trackwork.

Is that last sentence true? I've never read that anywhere else.

Mike Rector