wig wag crossing signals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Sep 5 11:24:02 EDT 2006

Moderator: Here is the second attempt at this message, with a
correct spelling error.

I do not think I have any pictures of the wig wag crossing signals in
Shepherdstown. They were
different from the posted photos. They looked more like the American
Limited (Walthers)
except they had no crossbuck or signage on them. Also, were not as
tall as the model. There was only one at each crossing and a single
N&W wood crossbuck on the opposite side of the track. Painted black
with the swinging arm painted red. They were in use there until the
late 1970's, so there was no excuse for me not to have photographed
them. I think the American Ltd. model is a Santa Fe prototype.

In the Pocahontas Glory video of the Shenandoah Division, there is a
segment showing a wig wag in operation as a train approached. There
was a bell which operated the entire time the signal was activated.

I do have an old photo which shows the crossing at the south end of
Vardo. It was a crossbuck style, with the wig wag mounted in the
center. I think this crossing was protected by two signals. There
were multiple tracks at this location.

Rick Morrison