Problems with HO Scale BLI Class A #1218

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 26 23:23:01 EDT 2006

Steven,

I have 3 of the BLI A's and am very happy with them. Occasionaly, I would have one to be 'jittery' as you describe, but I usually found the cause to be a loose connection on the pin connector between the engine and tender. Other than that, I have had zero operating issues. I did have a headlight burn out and after calling them, BLI quickly sent one out to me. The owner's manual walks you right through replacing one.

I also have 2 of the BLI J's and am reasonably happy with their performance. I did have the running gear of one of them swapped out under warranty due to jittery operation. I have seen the PCM Y run at the local HS and thought it was a smooth runner from what I could tell. I am still undecided on the sound of that one.

Will Sadler

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new member to this list. I have a question for any HO scale modelers out there. While I primarily model in N-Scale, I caved in to temptation about 3 years ago when Broadway Limited Imports released their model of the N&W class A 2-6-6-4, of course I bought the #1218 since I've encountered it numerous times in person when it was still running (can't believe it's been 15 years since the prototype last ran!). Anyway, I don't get to run it very often as I don't have room for an HO scale layout (which is why I model mostly in N). However, I occasionally get the chance to operate it on a loop of Bachmann E-Z track that I own as well as occasionally being able to run it on a friend's HO Scale layout (which is not DCC). The last time I operated it, I noticed it ran very intermittently and would stop and start very frequently, furthermore, the headlight bulb has burned out. My questions are: Has anyone else had any similar problems with their locomotive and what have you done
to be able to fix it? Furthermore, are replacement parts such as the headlight bulb available from Broadway Limited/Precision Craft Models? I appreciate any help.

Also, I was curious if anyone has either the BLI J or the PCM Y6B and am curious about how well or bad they may run? Furthermore since I am mostly into N-scale, I was curious if there may be the possiblity of PCM releasing the J, A or Y6B anytime soon. I know Bachmann is supposedly working on a retooled N-scale J, but having an HO version of the 611, I noticed they did not move the bell to the correct location beneath the front running board adjacent to the pilot.

Thanks for any help,

Sincerely,
Steven Ashley

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org