PCM Y6b Pot Stirring Pt. II,sound

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 24 17:49:59 EDT 2006

Hello,

following up this discussion, I felt, some more information might be helpful?

In my opinion, the best source of various and typical sounds when starting a
Y6 might be Winston Link's 'Sounds Of Steam Railroading'.
On Side A, take 2 there is a fine recording of a starting Y, showing all
different sounds.
Remember, the Ys were compounds, first starting in single motion 'cha-whom,
cha-whom', then changing into compound motion 'whumm-whumm' at 10 ... 15 mph
(pardon in case this isn't spelt 100% correctly!).
The exaust will reach a peak volume at low speeds (long cut off!) and wide
open will appear at speeds around 20 mph. At higher speeds, the combined sound
of clanks and offbeat roar my be as loud.
That change is to be heard on that record as are their two cross compounds
in a fine sound sequence!
By the way, I had the oportunity to take hifi-stereo tape recordings of both
A 1218 and J 611 of my own (I regret, none of the Y6 wasn't alive!).

Wulf-Dieter Heinrich
Düsseldorf
Germany