Bachmann Streamline K

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 19 01:48:02 EDT 2006

I just sent a reply regarding the ³Bachmann K² and mentioned that I had a
Bowser NYC Pacific that I thought could make into an N&W E, but I forgot to
mention that I have a Bachmann ³Plus² J (#608) that I thought I could
convert to a K and here¹s why: I was operating it one day and it suddenly
stalled out and smoke was being emitted. I shut off the power, but upon
closer inspection, I realized that I had the only HO gauge model steam
engine on earth that actually had a fire in the fire box. Poor old #608 was
suffering from a bad case of melt-down. I managed to put out the fire but
not before there was some scarring of the nice paint job with the Red
stripe. Apparently, the DCC wires got caught in the trailing truck and
shorted out which started the fire. Anyway, I thought #608 might be a
candidate for a streamlined K2a. But I figured that I would have to
re-section the shell as a K would not be quite as long as a J. That is why
I made the remark that I hoped Bachmann would not just take the J shell and
put a 4-8-2 mechanism under it. If they are going to do that, I¹m too much
of a purist, I will go back to plan A and truncate #608. But this time, I
will not try for such realism, I will simply put a flickering LED in the
firebox! Besides, roasting plastic doesn¹t smell much like the sulphury
stench of burning bituminous coal.

On 7/18/06 3:50 PM, "nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org" <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>
wrote:

> K unit? K UNIT????

> Units are diesels.

> Ed King

>>> Jim:

>>> Talking to a Bachman repair person about the pacifics, and he stated the

>>> they are going to focus on the mountain series.. When ask which mountain,

>>> he stated that he thought there was a N&W streamlined mountain in the

>>> works. Only time will tell.