N&W Red

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jul 13 07:51:34 EDT 2006

What model color to use as N&W red always opens a can of worms. If you view any of the vintage N&W video or DVD material that is available you will see that most passenger cars in most trains varied in the color of red. I'm not talking about the brand new Powhatan Arrow fresh from the factory, but those cars in regular service.

In the past I have used automobile lacquer that was matched from a color sample taken from an N&W car. However, that paint is extremely thick from the can and must be thinned with high quality lacquer thinner rather than the less expensive stuff you can buy at Home Depot, etc. You must use it with more than adequate ventilation and a respirator.

I purchased a bottle of the Scalecoat II N&W Red; in my opinion, it is much too purple. However, this may be the result of viewing it under the flourescent lighting in my basement.

I have also experimented with using Polly Scale Wisconsin Central Maroon; it doesn't look that great until it is clear coated with gloss. In my opinion, this is an acceptable color and not quite as hazardous to my health as the automobile lacquer.

I think to truly represent the prototype variation in color we should select a red/maroon as our base color. We should probably vary that color by adding a few drops of grey or some other color that would give us the variety we see in the prototype.

To answer Lois' question, I think it would be far easier in the long run to simply repaint the entire car. Model manufacturers typically do not use paint from the model railroad vendors; they are purchasing paint in 55 gallon drums or some other bulk type container, usually from a commercial paint supplier, and something which is not readily available to the modeler.

I think it would be a great article for the Arrow, and a real service for N&W modelers, if someone with the time and interest in this would prepare an article with samples, formulas, results and recommendations.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD