Correct cabooses for 1950s, Y6 sheathed smokeboxes etc.

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 28 13:16:32 EDT 2006

Jim,

Many thanks for your information on correct cabooses for the 1950s.

I note that PCM #76 has the same "scheme" as #77, but differs in
having a horizontal brakewheel.

Clearly at some date the N&W decided to move from horizontal
brakewheels to "Ajax vertical" ones. Has anyone any knowledge as to
when this decision took place?

Whenever it was, it would probably have taken some time for all the
brakewheels to have been replaced. Would some horizontal brakewheeled
cabooses still have been around in my preferred 1954-57 timeslot?

I eventually hope to have a small layout representing part of the N&W
in that period. However any layout other than a very small one is
going to need more than one caboose. So I rather hope that some
horizontal brakewheeled cabooses did make it through to the end of
1957, as I don't trust my skills in trying to renumber a model.

On a different topic, I was interested to read your contribution to
the Y6b sheathed smokebox topic on the main mailing list (which I
haven't joined because a high proportion of the topics seem to be post
1957). It seems to me that the evidence you present may support the
comment of Kim Thurlow on his website that, with regard to the Y6b
locos, 2177 and 2188 never received sheathed smokeboxes (but all the
other Y6bs did).

What evidence is there for sheathed smokeboxes for the other Y classes
and subclasses?

Regards to all,

Frank Hung