"REAL COAL" LOADS

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 11 20:23:11 EDT 2006

My opinion, as a retired chemical engineer: the 'real' coal on a 'real'
open top hopper is exposed to moisture and the sun. It could easily convert to
sulfur-containing acids, which are definitely going to corrode unprotected
steel. Many trips = much corrosion. But 'real' coal in a plastic model does
not see the moisture and elevated temperatures; plus the plastic is not
vulnerable to attack by sulfuric acid. My vote: use real coal for your loads.

Jerome Crosson