PCM Y6b question and locomotive home bases

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jun 2 09:39:16 EDT 2006

To Ed King and Rick Morrison

Many thanks for your interesting and informative replies to my
question.

The practice of the PRR in stencilling home base initials on the locos
is quite reminiscent of the practice of some of the historic British
railway companies (none of which exist any more).

During the steam era in the nationalized British Railways (1948-1968),
each loco would have the code for its home base ("shed" as we would
call it over here) on a small plaque affixed to the smokebox front.
This was a continuation of the practice of the London, Midland and
Scottish Railway (LMSR), which in turn inherited the practice from one
of its main constituent companies of the pre-Grouping (pre 1923) era.

I'll be back with more queries about the N&W in the near future.

Regards to you all,

Frank Hung