Fonts

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 4 16:19:22 EDT 2006

Just for your information, the actual number sets are available from
the Commissary, click under decals, under Shellscale and set 8" Black
EMD Numbers used by N&W HO103 $4.50
N (same as above, but in N scale) N103 $4.50

These are actual correct numerals, Gill Sans is not even very close. If
you are looking for the earlier style boards (black boards with white
or backlit numerals, try these
8" White Insert-style Numbers, for early N&W EMDs HO105 $4.50
N (same as above, but in N scale) N105 $4.50

I hate to see anyone use something that is not right when the correct
material is available, especially from the Commissary.

Ken Miller

On May 4, 2006, at 10:02 AM, nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:

> Thanks to all for the info. I believe I have found a

> font "Gill Sans" that will work.

> J. T. McCutcheon

> --- nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:

>> Richard Shell can and probably will answer this one,

>> but numberboard

>> numbers from the 1970s are a specialized style

>> number, they are

>> numbers, generally stamped out of plastic, and glued

>> to a white lexan

>> background board.

>> I have to assume that you are talking about the 1728

>> after it was low

>> nosed, the numbers on the low nose end numberboards

>> are the standard

>> style numbers. To the best of my knowledge, they are

>> not a conventional

>> font, but a design used almost exclusively for this

>> purpose. I do not

>> know if the numbers are a stock item that the

>> railroad ordered from a

>> supplier, I'd suspect so. I know they were assembled

>> in Roanoke, and

>> sometimes the boards were kind of sloppy, I have at

>> least one that has

>> one number or the other considerably lower than a

>> straight line.

>> I may be speaking out of turn here, but as I recall,

>> the numberboard

>> numbers were what started Richard into Shellscale

>> Decals, he could not

>> find the correct numbers for modeling, so he did the

>> research, had the

>> sets made, and began to sell them himself. He has

>> correct number sets

>> for both white numbers on black, and black numbers

>> on white.

>> Ken Miller

>> On May 3, 2006, at 5:43 PM,

>> nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:

>>> Black. The 1728 low short hood SD45. What I'm

>> trying

>>> to duplicate is the number boards.

>>> J.T.McCutcheon