Minimum Radius for N&W 2-8-8-2

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Apr 16 10:31:46 EDT 2006

> Gentlemen,

> I am writing this with the help o' my son as I write in Gaelic/Anglish if I am

> by myself.

> I would like to know what the minimum radius for the N&W 2-8-8-2 (#2050) would

> be on an HO lay oot.

> My son and I are getting ready to start building our new lay-out and I have

> the above engine built by Life-lyke (Proto 2000 series).

> If there are any words out of the ordinary please accept my apologies.

> Thank ye.

> Yours aye,

> Mac

> RBMacdonald

> Memphis, TN

Mine will go thru a #6 turnout which is about 20" radius.
So does the Powerhouse series of years ago.
They will derail at the pony or engine truck thru a #4 in either direction.
I would use a 26" or larger radius for all track if you use 2-8-8-2's.
I try to use a 32" as minimum for mainlines,
and 28" on sidings,
and 22" the yards.

Mark Lindsey