Self trimming coal bunkers

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Apr 13 21:54:18 EDT 2006

John,

At the risk of betraying myself as a "foamer", the coal bunker of my
Kohs Y6a, which purports to be true to prototype, has steeply sloped
sides down to a rather narrow trough so I suspect it would be "self
trimming". The load is exposed to the stoker screw by any one of
five or six sliding hatches.

Tom Leuthner

Reply to message:

This makes me think of a question. On the 22,000 gal. tender was the
coal bunker "self trimming" or did the coal have to be shoveled up to
get the last bit into the stoker trough?

Thanks,
John Rhodes