Broadway LTD N&W Class-J

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 6 23:14:57 EST 2006

For over 30 years I've Scalecoat PRR #14 caboose red (before Scalecoat produced it's own N&W red). We can debate what constitutes the proper color for N&W red for a lifetime. I remember different shades from personally viewing the late steam and early diesel eras up until the blasphemous application of Wabash blue. Weathering, lighting conditions, dirt, and Lord knows what other factors affected the shade/tint. Whenever you look at a color picture of N&W red passenger equipment there are usually multiple shades. As mentioned in my prior note I have factory painted N&W steam locomotives from Overland, Key, and Sunset as well as 4 Broadway LTD plastic models. Each Brass importer used a different shade/tint (and Key has different shades one on its Class-J and another on its K-2a) and Broadway LTD has 2 different shades/tints. It's not worth a big debate. They're all within the variety of shades/tints seen in the old N&W color pictures! I like my PRR #14 Caboose Red!!!! Pick the color you like and be happy!

Ed Painter Narrows, VA - (currently Russellville, AR)