41' Ballast Hopper vs. Aggregate hopper

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 18 17:57:39 EST 2006

The car that you are talking about is Greenville's 100 ton two bay aggregate
hopper, which is different than the what the original inquiry was about.
Walthers has produced the Greenville 100 ton two bay car, in NS and Southern
lettering. This Greenville car is used in sand and stone (aggregate)
service. The green N&W car, photo previously posted shown in NS MOW orange,
is strictly used in MOW ballast service. The ex-Southern Greenville 100T 2
bays are used in general MOW (orange) service and commercial (Sou freight
car brown and black) service.

The former Southern cars have made it into several schemes. Sou in MOW
Orange w/ large block lettering, Sou in Sou Freight Car Brown w/ large block
lettering (two types of font), Sou in black w/ Claytor font (painted post
merger), Sou in Sou Freight Car Brown w/ Claytor font (painted post merger),
and lastly NS in Sou Freight Car Brown w/ Sou and NS reporting marks. Note
that Southern did assign these cars to the Central of Georgia, CNO&TP and
AGS.

Built in early 1989, NS/NW recieved an order of 100 cars numbered
#150000-150099, in mineral red paint, NS speed lettering and NW reporting
marks.

Owner Number Series NS Numbers Class Note
Sou 994350-994427 N/A HS31 MOW Orange
Sou 100300-101499 150100-151196 HS31
Sou 101500-101799 151200-151491 HS32
Sou 101800-102099 151500-151791 HS33
Sou 103300-103699 151800-152191 HS34
Sou 103700-103999 152200-152495 HS35
Sou 105000-105249 152500-152747 HS37
NW 150000-150099 N/A H48 NS Speed lettering w/NW reporting
marks.

Attached are photos of the Greenville 2 bay hopper for both Southern and
NS/NW.

Regards,
Russ Goodwin