N&W station signs

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 14 17:18:51 EST 2006

Jim

Since I have not seen anything posted to regards of what you asked,
I'll give it a shot. Your question is not a short answer, however.
There is a standard station sign drawing, No. L-136, originally issued
October 18, 1905, with a revised version dated November 27, 1933,
should be in the Standards Book. That is for a standard sign board,
which was for first class stations. I am not sure what determined which
station got a sign board, or was simply painted on the end boards. The
revised drawing specified stations in Petersburg, Lynchburg, Roanoke,
Bristol and Bluefield to be painted with gold leaf with black smalt
(flat sand finish) background

Signs varied over time in color, the actual letters were several
different styles, all hand lettered and depended on where and when the
sign was painted. I have developed a standard font from my actual
signs, Glade Spring, Portsmouth, North Fork, Narrows, Christiansburg,
Blacksburg, these all match the drawing in the standard book, if you
don't have one, post an email, I'll be glad to send you a copy of the
drawing. I also have signs from Glasgow, Radford, Boones Mill, and
Hanging Rock, Virginia that are a completely different style and
design.

Generally, signs at all stations other than the ones specified on
L-136, were white background with black lettering, usually a flat
black, However, when I was restoring one of the North Fork signs, both
white with black letters, I sanded each layer off, and found a layer
with black background and dulux gold letters. At least 3 layers with
black on white above that however. The Portsmouth sign is a gold leaf
on the textured black smalt surface.

I lettered the replica depot at Matewan with a type face I developed
from numerous photos and a single drawing, those too were all hand
lettered, and vary in letter style and design, depending on who was
doing the lettering. It is a flat black on the board, going across
battens as necessary. I did hand cut stencils to make Matewan
consistant and it took me almost ten hours to letter both ends of the
place.

I also know that Williamson was a completely different style than the
others, somewhat of an art deco font, and it seems that I recall at
least least one other that was similar, but I cannot remember where.

With remodeling Roanoke, Radford and Lynchburg, newer style signs were
done for those places, of which my Radford is an example of.

Just to add to your confusion at this point, there is also a standard
drawing L-129 for a station sign for use where there is no station
building, issued July 8, 1902, which shows a black letter on white
board, with two posts. I know these were used in a variety of places,
and their letter style is like my Hanging Rock.

Sufficiently confused yet?

Ken Miller