Top coating new decals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 2 22:28:44 EST 2006

Dave:

It's pretty much mandatory to put a top coat over decals to hide the shine
of the film and make it blend in to the paint coat. It also protects the
decals from the inevitable moderate handling. If I want a dull finish, which is
generally the case except on passenger equipment, I'll use the flat as both
the dull finish and the top coat for the decals. I've had good results both
with DullCote and with Floquil "flat finish". For passenger equipment I use
Floquil "glaze."

In my experience you don't need both a decal top coat and a final flat or
glaze coat, the final coat does both.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 2/2/2006 10:21:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,