Ballast Color

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Dec 3 12:28:22 EST 2005

In the 1960's and 1970's up to the merger, the N&W used get cars and
cars of limestone from the Plum Run quarry near Peebles Ohio the
Cincinnati District for use as ballast. The limestone was a very pale
gray in color. After the merger the ballast stone came from a quarry
owned (?) by the Southern. This was a gray, feldspar-looking stone.

I am reasonably sure that the Plum Run ballast was used system wide on
the N&W in those days. It sure was used on Scioto Division track in
abundance.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati