new product news: new HO Y6b

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Nov 22 20:58:06 EST 2005

Years ago I rebuilt a Y6b into a Y5 (2092) and sold or traded it to George
Hughes. I had since acquired 3 more Y6b¹s and those were also slated to
become Y5¹s. I also got 3 of the Bachman Aux tenders and with inspiration
from the E3 project, I added back the coal bunkers and walkways, using some
photos from the College collection. I had planned them to be the time
freight haulers, with my 8 Y3¹s doing coal drag work. I had also cobbled
together 2 G1¹s for local light freight, and the M2c¹s were for work trains.
The Z1¹s (never built) would do coal work too, but I only got one as a
reference for the rest of the fleet if I ever get around to it. I had a
tool failure on an ³Auto-Quarter² which did precision quartering and driver
removal so I could swap gear boxes, and make Bowsers run smooth as silk. I
need to find an excellent machinist to make some replacement pieces in case
I break another. I learned to make 2 Bowser H9 frames into the SRR 2-8-8-2
simple articulated with a PVC tube boiler, and cab I had to fabricate
myself. It ran great, but the drive shaft arrangement had to be re-done for
less slop. I was going to remove the 4th driver and frame stuff and make a
2-6-6-2 Z1 as my next project. Then along come this wonderful

Mark Lindsey