N&W interchanges

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Aug 6 20:45:26 EDT 2005

For the pre 1964 merger N&W on the Scioto Division, basically the N&W in
Ohio and north of Williamson, the N&W did interchange with:

Kenova- interchange with the Chesapeake & Ohio (and the Baltimore & Ohio/
ex-Ohio River Railroad up to the 1930’s)

Ironton, Ohio- Interchange with the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton

Sciotoville, Ohio- interchange with the B&O (there was an interchange track
from the C&O’s Sciotoville/Limeville bridge over the Ohio River connecting
to the B&O in Sciotoville that was, at least, proposed as an interchange
C&O to N&W.

Portsmouth, Ohio- interchange between the N&W and the B&O

Glen Jean/Waverly- interchange between the N&W and C&O until the C&O quit
running on the N&W tracks up to Columbus (1927). Interchange between the
DT&I and the N&W in Waverly

Columbus, Ohio- interchange between the N&W and PRR, C&O, B&O and New York
Central.

Cincinnati, Ohio- interchange directly between the N&W and the B&O and NYC
at Berry Yard/ Ivorydale Yard near the Proctor & Gamble factory.

-interchange between the N&W and the Pennsylvania Railroad at Clare
Yard. The PRR handled the N&W cars interchanging with the L&N, C&O and
Southern Railway

-interchange between the N&W and the PRR on the old Cincinnati, Lebanon &
Northern line at Idlewild and the PRR Court Street Yard in downtown
Cincinnati.

After 1964 and the merger/lease of the Nickel Plate Road, Wheeling & Lake
Erie, Pittsburg & West Virginia and the Wabash, the N&W interchanged in
numerous places in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Iowa as well as
around the Pittsburgh area on the ex-P&WV system.

G Rolih, Cincinnati