Y3/Y3a tender wheels circa 1950

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue May 3 23:33:01 EDT 2005

You need to be changing them, Nigel.  Ribbed backs (they were known as "brackets" in the prototype and didn't go all the way from the rim to the hub) were used only on cast iron wheels, and N&W had no cast iron wheels under anything by long before 1950.  N&W was one of the earliest railroads to standardize on wrought steel wheels.

For some reason, model manufacturers think the "ribs" represent an extra little detail and need to be put on the backs of all their wheels; Walthers is also a big offender in this category.

EdKing