N&W Alco T-6 Modeling Problem

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Apr 24 18:06:21 EDT 2005

David:

The T-6 rode on the so-called AAR Type A switcher truck.  Alco  switched to
that truck beginning with the S-3, and everybody else used it for  their
switchers, certainly after WWII.  Most switchers had friction journal  bearings, but
some did have roller bearings.  The Athearn HO side frames  with roller
bearings model a different style from what Alco used on the N&W  T-6.
Unfortunately, on the N&W prototype, the bearing cap is a style  that's not common.  It's
different from, for example, what you'll see on  the RS-3 or RS-11, and the
difference is noticeable.  A "Google" search has  raised the possibility that
Tiger Valley Models, which has been planning a T-6  for release "soon" for quite
some time, may have this part.  I'm in the  process of contacting them.

No, the truck from an RS-3 would not be right for the T-6.  That truck  is
the AAR Type B truck, a road locomotive truck with a longer wheelbase.
Dave Phelps

In a message dated 4/24/2005 5:05:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,