2 speaker set up for soundtraxx

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 13 15:24:04 EDT 2005

On 4/10/2005, John Rhodes asked:

>  Kert,What size speakers did you use and how did you do it?

John,

I used two 1" round speakers.  One speaker is mounted under the coal load,
firing up though holes drilled in the coal load (No. 75 drill), with the
second speaker mounted in the bottom of the tender, firing down through
holes drilled in the floor of the tender (carefully missing key
components).  I wired the speakers in parallel as shown in the SoundTraxx
tech note on the wiring multiple speakers, which is found on the SoundTraxx
website:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dcc/docs.html#TECHNICAL%20BULLETINS

I solder a small plug into the power connections from the DSX so that I can
program it separately and not have any conflicts with the TCS decoder that
I use for motor control.

When I wire my next one, I will probably use small oval speakers instead of
round ones.  Either will fit.  Using two speakers makes the fit really
tight inside the tender, and I am not sure there would be enough space
inside the shorter tender.  Thankfully, the TCS T-2 decoder I use for motor
control is really small. (If you use the T-2, get the T-2P which comes with
the short harness for the P2K locomotives.)  There are other small decoders
you can use for motor control, I just happen to really like the TCS decoders.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision Transportation
was still steam powered!