2 speaker set up for soundtraxx

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 9 21:07:31 EDT 2005

 Kert,What size speakers did you use and how did you do it? John Rhodes--- On Fri 04/08, < nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org > wrote:From: [mailto: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org]To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.orgDate: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:37:56 -0700Subject: Re: Broadway Limited 4-8-4On 4/7/2005, Jerry Shepardson wrote:
I have one of the early Y-3 engines that was fitted with a Soundtraxxdecoder shortly after I bought it. IMHO, quality is not as good as theBroadway A, especially the bell. Sounds "tinny" to me compared to the A. Jerry,Your P2K Y-3 probably doesn't have the dual speaker set-up that the BLI locomotive has.  The limitation on sound produced by even the older SoundTraxx decoders is the limited ability of the speakers we use in our locomotives to reproduce the sounds.  If you want to see what they can really produce, try connecting your SoundTraxx decoder to a good stereo amplifier and set of bookshelf (or larger) speakers.  Sounds awesome.  QSI realized the limitations of a single small speaker, and they have attempted to overcome as many of those limitations as they can with the dual speaker set-up they use.  I haven't measured the difference between the two, but I suspect the QSI is capable of producing more sound in the lower frequency range than the single speaker SoundTraxx.  Some would argue that there is also a difference with SoundTraxx only using an 8-bit in their old decoders, while QSI uses a 16-bit chip, but that difference is negligible to our hearing when reproduced with the small speakers we use.  The upcoming SoundTraxx Tsunami will use (according to info released by SoundTraxx) a 16-bit chip for sound.Incidentally, I have a dual speaker set up with SoundTraxx DSX in one of the Y-3s with the larger tender, and it sounds wonderful.  At least I can play the hooter better than I can my BLI A. :-)Cheers,Kert PetersonFircrest, WAModeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision Transportation was still steam powered!