Virginian Class HC-1 decals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Apr 1 21:22:48 EST 2005

Tony,

Sounds like you simply got a bad set of decals.

>From time to time it happens in the printing process. When things go wrong in
printing, particularly in automated systems, they have to run a few sheets of
decals before the problem clears up. It is the printers responsibility to
pull these bad sheets out, but some still get packaged. I make an effort to
visually inspect each set as it gets packaged.

Once in a while you will get a sheet that doesn't have the clear backing and
these will desintergrate when soaked in solutions such as Microset or
Microsol. I know this from personal experience. About ten years ago I got this flaming
letter from a modeler telling me how sorry my decals were, how he had sent
letters to Model Railroader, and the other magazines telling them how sorry my
decals were. If he had just contacted me first, I would have known what the
problem was immediately and made it right. I did make it right. I also suggest to
him that in the future he talk to the manufacturer first before burning them
at the stake.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
ShellScale Decals