GP-9 and RS-3 Models (was: Durham District in the '50s?)

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Mar 29 14:28:17 EST 2005

On 3/29/2005, Bill Smith wrote:

>I would like to have an HO model of the initial - 1955 version before
>renumbering - diesels custom painted - both an RS-3 and the GP-9...

Bill,

The original run of P2K GP-9 diesels were painted in the as-delivered paint
scheme.  Life-Like offered locomotive numbers 710 and 713 in that
run.  Doesn't take much work to make them into very good models of N&W GP-9
locomotives.

On the other hand, no one makes a credible RS-3 for the N&W.  The reason is
the dynamic brakes that they came equipped with.  If you get some decent
measurements and photos of the RS-3 at the museum in Roanoke, you can
probably scratchbuild your hood with the dynamic brakes.  However, the
first thing you will have to do is find a good RS-3 locomotive to start
with.  Maybe Athearn's re-tooled MDC RS-3 will answer that problem, but you
will still need to scratchbuild the dynamic brakes.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision Transportation
was still steam powered!