Seven Mile Ford Trestle (was Betwixt Glade Spring and Chilhowie)

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 24 06:39:31 EST 2005

The Seven Mile Ford Trestle is visible from the interstate if you look fast.  Otherwise, get off the Seven Mile Ford exit and go north toward the tracks and you'll see it.  You'll drive right under it.  Look at the center stone in the arch, it shows the year it was built.  (I won't give the year away to make it more interesting!)
It does look pretty much the same as it did in Link's era except that NS has let the right of way grow over, and the river bank is pretty overgrown as well.  If you want to see it, I recommend you go before the foliage comes out, or your view will be limited.  In Link's time all this area was kept cleared.
Ben Blevins

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Thanks Ed! I thought i remembered seeing a sign along I81 somewhere in there for Seven Mile Ford. I should drive up there just to see if it still looks at all like what it looked like when Mr. Link took the picture up there. Besides, it would be a nice drive in the spring....

Bob Welsh