NW-Modeling-List Digest, Vol 11, Issue 3

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Mar 12 18:42:11 EST 2005

On 3/12/2005, Jim Slack wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good DCC sound decoder that provides the proper
>simple and compound sounds for the N&W 2-8-8-2's?  I saw some comments
>recently on a Soundtrax chip, but don't know which particular chip was
>being referenced.  Also, does anyone have a sound clip of the whistles
>and such?

Jim,

I've used the SoundTraxx DSD and DSX decoders for the N&W 1218.  For chuff
synchronization, I have either used the auto-synch feature set to simple,
or used a cam with only four lobes.  The 1218's whistle was the correct
hooter for the Y-class, or at least as close as we are going to get.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the Norfolk and Western Ry in 1951, when Precision Transportation
was still steam powered!