Lionel Convention in Portsmouth, VA

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Mar 2 20:10:57 EST 2005

This year, the annual convention of the Lionel Operating Train Society (LOTS)
will be held in Portsmouth, VA -- from July 5 through 9.  Each year's
convention is themed around the locale where it is being held.

Our commemorative "theme" cars will be a pair of Virginian 3-bay hoppers.
Our club's bi-monthly magazine ,"The Switcher",  features  articles in the
February issue by George Nelson of Fairhope, AL on the N&W passenger
service from
Cincinnati to Norfolk and focuses on the Virginia Museum of Transportation and
the O. Winston Link Museum in Roanoke.  Frank  Kammer of  Cincinnati. OH wrote
a separate article on the Powhatan Arrow and its schedule across Virginia,
including the limiting size of the passing sidings at Welch, WV.  Another
article is a brief glimpse of other important railroading sites in Virginia
and the
surrounding area, including the Eastern Shore RR with its unique car float
operation out of Little Creek.

During the convention, we expect to tour the N-S  (and the CSX) coal piers,
the Eastern Shore RR Little Creek Terminal, etc. (as well as other real and
model rail sites)

You can learn more about the LOTS convention, and the club in general, at our
website:  www.lots-trains.org  -- and there are some links to other related
rail interests.

Herb Kern, LOTS, VP
Mobile, AL