P2K 2-8-8-2

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 13 00:24:02 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/12/2005 10:38:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org writes:

Hi  all,

Life-Like recently released another run of their Proto 2000  2-8-8-2's.
One version is supposed to be the VGN USA Class of which I  purchase No.
719 equipped with sound.  I have noticed that it appears  Life-Like used
the same sound chip Broadway Limited used in their release  of the N&W
A's as the whistle sound is identical.  Is this even  remotely accurate?
I'm on the verge of returning the loco over this, but  wanted to check
with the group first.

Thanks,

Jim  Slack
Wichita, KS

While I have not had the P2K unit in front of me I imagine it is the  same
decoder as the "A". I believe the same co. produced decoders for both  engine
producers. The whistle is correct for the "A" and a N & W Y3. I am  not sure
what the VGN would have used but I seem to remember hearing a VGN  whistle
somewhere and it was a very high pitch one. Not the low moan of the N  & W whistles.

Ray Russell
NMRA-40609
"Norfolk & Western Railroad"   "Pocahontas Division"  "Circa 1958"
Visit The "NEW" Pocahontas  Website at:
_http://www.nandw-pocahontas-division.net/_ (http://members.aol.com/rruss45826/public_html/index.html)