eBay pic - Class E2a 555 and signal mast

Fri Apr 26 20:13:28 EDT 2024

Mike,
Thanks for the photo.  Please note the following is not authoritative, it
is my speculation only, so take it with a huge block of salt.
It seems that in the early installation of US&S PL signals, if a lower arm
were needed they did not use a target/background for that arm.  I do not
know the reason for omitting this item.  Obviously, it would save money,
but I believe the purpose of the background was to provide contrast for the
lights, and thus it would seem beneficial for the lower arm as well.  There
are variations on the circular theme for the shape of an arm's background
depending upon what specific indications are required: small round for only
a single lamp, ovals for rows of three lamps (mounted in various
orientations) and I believe I have even seen a photo of an oblong target
used as a background for a signal needing only two aspects.\
Again my disclaimer on my speculation.  I very enthusiastically invite
comments/information from other knowledgeable sources (yes, I am speaking
to you Turnip Abe).
Just my 2 cents,
Jim Cochran