Traffic Representatives: What Was the Story Behind Them ?

Sun Apr 14 14:07:44 EDT 2024

Abe

Your question is a can of worms.  Traffic people came from all over.
 From off the street so to speak to other railroads and other departments.

A good example is R. F. Dunlap.  His first job on the railroad from my
memory was at the scrap wharf Roanoke Shops.  Next was in the Traffic
Department and from there to the Operating department.  Briggs Thornton,
George Ruff and others came from the operating department.  The two
mentioned were Passenger Representatives that were on the new Arrow.
John Adams Traffic Manager came from the Southern Railroads Freight
Association in Atlanta and was our representative to that rate making
body along with being in charge of N&W Pricing Lumber etc.   Other
Departments there were similar.  Don Tolmie General Solicitor came from
the PRR and a first class Attorney.   Of course I started in the
operating department as a clerk on Roanoke Terminal.  There were a
number of clerks from Roanoke Terminal that proceed my move to the
Traffic Department.   Some later went to other departments including
operating, computer and out in the field as Sales Reps. Back in the 60's
most of the sales jobs were filled from people in the Traffic dept.
Later with the training program some were sent to sales and other
departments upon completion of training.

Actually my first job in Traffic was the file clerk in sales dept in the
office of Joe Christoph Traffic/Sales  Manager for Atlantic and
Pocahontas Region.   I knew from this job I had found a home. The best
chance for advancement was in freight rates and being able to
interpenetrate freight tariffs.  Rates was a good choice for me.  As for
the sales they got the best they could find.  When the Norfolk Southern
(old) was taken over we had our pick.  The N&W hired Tex Benton from the
old NS to be a sales rep. in Houston, TX.  One of his calls was Texas
Gulf & Sulpher. Needless to say it was a win for the N&W, Tex and our
customer.

  I might add that the coal and passenger  depts. was not part of
Merchandise Traffic.  TOFC pricing was.

Jim Blackstock