signaling (was signal brackets)

Fri Mar 29 09:17:41 EDT 2024

Thank you Jim.
A couple questions from even this "Intro to Signals 050" class

Why STOP AND PROCEED and not simply STOP?
Is this because the train has authority and/or there is no oncoming train
in front of it?

Why were the center lights removed from the earlier position lights? Simply
cost savings? It seems like a 3rd light is one extra protection if one of
the others burn out. For that matter (extremely sorry for the tangent), is
there some electrical indication that a signal light is burned out that is
displayed in an operations office, or was it simply reported by crews?

Mike Rector