switch stand lanterns

Tue Mar 12 03:58:25 EDT 2024

In the VERY early days signal color meanings were different from what
finally became standard for most of the N&W's existence.  For example,
white was used to indicate "clear" until non-railroad electric lights began
becoming common, potentially causing confusion. My question is on the color
of lenses for switch stand lanterns.  It is my understanding that for most
of N&W history, the lenses would have been green and red to show
indications for the corresponding switch being in the Normal and Reverse
positions respectively.  Just wanted to verify that this was indeed the
case and ask those delvers into ancient history if there is any evidence
that other colors were used.
Thanks,
Jim Cochran