Y4a to Y5 and subsequent retrofit for Y3's

Fri Feb 16 14:12:54 EST 2024

Hee is m;y understanding of the   Y-4a Y5s ituation.
The railroad built 20 Y engines in 1930, 31 and 32.
These engines were not needed to handle the business of the railroad
because of the Great Depression.  The first six engines were built with 280
pounds of boiler pressure and were classed Y4a,  After they were on the
road it was decided to steam the boilers at an even 300 pounds for which
the boilers  had been designed.  These first six engines were reclassed Y5
and subsequent engines were built as Y5
I don't know of any information that these engines were built with anything
but bar frames.  All were built with plain bearings.  The 2092
was destroyed in 1937 inN&W's worst freight wreck up to that time.
After the last Y6 engines were built it was decided to upgrade the Y5s and
equip them with cast frames and roller bearings, a rather expensive
upgrading but it gave the railroad 19 more locomotives of Y6 quality.  They
were renumbered 2101 to 2119 but they were not rebuilt consecutely nor was
the rennbering done consecutively .
So after all this was done and the Y6bs came along the railroad had 100
locomotives that were superbly matched to the needs of the railroad.
N&W's 2101-2200 were, hands down, the greatest ,mountain service steam
locomotive ever built  and it accomplished its feats with a boiler the size
of that of a big 4-8-4.  Compounding made that possible and N*W's
continuous efforts to speed the compound up bore fruit.  A Y6 bringing
10300 ton coal trains up New River at speeds between 30 and 32 MPH required
the application of about 5500 draawbar horsepower  and any other locomotive
that could accomplish that output was a humongous simple articulated with
an appetite to match.
I ask anyone with data that contrdicts any of the above to let me in on it
-  I'm more interested in accuracy than anything else
- Ed King