Passenger Train Consists Lynchburg-Bristol

Thu Feb 15 12:21:59 EST 2024

Mike,

The notebook is a pocket notebook - 3.5in by 5.5in.  A stamp with red ink was used on each page to add the Train No., Time Arr., Time Dep., Eng. In, Eng. Out., and Time Couple “headers.”  Another stamp was used for the date.

My great-grandfather explained to me what he did with the railroad but I was way to young to comprehend and I really do not remember any details.

I will not let that stop me from making my best guess as to what this notebook was used for.  Hereafter is pure conjecture:

This was probably used to quickly jot down the information for the train’s stop at the Roanoke passenger station.  The small notebook would fit into a pocket so it would be easy to take out to the platform.  These notes could then be used to fill out "more official" forms in the station once the train left.

I can image that the passenger station foreman would start his shift by noting how many trains were scheduled for arrival during his shift - along with any potential trains with 2nd sections.  Then he would stamp the appropriate number of pages in the notebook.  Once a train arrived, the foreman would add notes in the notebook while overseeing all the busy activities while the train was at the station.  Once the train left the foreman could then go into his office in the station and fill out the required paperwork using those notes.

Toney Minter