Things noticed - Eng 2045, Location of Photo

Wed Feb 14 14:01:49 EST 2024

Herr von Rektor asks about the location of the photo of Eng 2045, whether Rke or Blfd.

That photo was taken at Roanoke. The Eng is headed west, on one of the two or so yard tracks which were on the south side of the Yard Office at that point (I never heard a name for them.) The brick office behind the engine is 16th St Yard Office (blt 1949, I think,) and the squarish brick chimney visible over the Eng cab belongs to the oil furnace at 16th St Y.O. The front end of the Eng is sitting right at the west end of the building. The track on the near side of the Eng is, I think, the Westbound Running Track (the running tracks in that area were changed around after I left the area 45 years ago.)

The girder bridge is the foot bridge which started life somewhere around the old 12th St Round House at West Roanoke, then was moved to 16th St at the time the Pull Up Yard was lengthened, and finally was moved again to its present location at 15th St sometime around 1968 (I think.)

What is the 2045 doing in this photo? It may have been assigned to the Pull Up crew that day, but it is on the wrong side of 16rg St Office to be working in the Pull Up Yard. There were "crossover cars" which had to move between the Pull Up at 16th St and the Middle Yard at 15th Street, and the engine may have been engaged in moving crossover cars.

If you need a better location for the photo, these coordinates should get you there:

 37.278873788, -79.96511765

-- abram burnett

Write Today for Your Prospectus:
    Giga-Max Global Capital World Turnip Investment Fund, LLC