Fred McLeod N&W Films

Sun Jan 21 08:48:18 EST 2024

Hello list,

Some of you may be aware of the 16mm sync-sound railroad films shot by Fred
McLeod during the 1950s. A number of his films were released by Blackhawk
Films in the early '60s. Among these Blackhawk releases was a film titled
"The Thunder of Steam in the Blue Ridge", containing a selection of Fred's
N&W steam films from 1958. Unfortunately, the Blackhawk films are in black
and white, and I know for a fact that Fred was shooting in color by 1958. I
also know that Fred shot many more N&W scenes than were featured in the
Blackhawk release. Some of these "outtakes" have been featured in Herron
Rail Video's "Pocahontas Glory" series.

I am wondering if anyone happens to know the current whereabouts of Fred's
complete collection of N&W films? It is common practice nowadays to scan
film in HD and even 4K, and I would be delighted if Fred's films could
receive this treatment for the sake of archival preservation.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eli Santin