Question re: Class A in Passenger Service - 1950's

Sat Jan 20 13:26:21 EST 2024

Thanks Larry, Jimmy and Ed (EK).  Ed, I’ve been through Cincinnati, but never in it (in the residential sense).

Larry, looking at the photo again, the exhaust does seem to leave a trail. My second theory (which I removed from the original post to keep it simple) was that the the photographer simply froze the image in a place that resembles a station stop.

Jimmy said:
According to my former mentor, engineer (fireman at that time) L.W. Jones who took a forty car troop train over Blue Ridge at 50mph with a Class A, it must have!

Ed said:
The passenger trains on the Valley were not heavy enough to require class A power.
This must have been a troop train or some other special movement.
Vas you effer in Zinzinnati?
- EK

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US