Railroad Electrification Question

Thu Jan 11 19:35:30 EST 2024

To the best of my knowledge, most bridges had wire or power bars and frequently complex devices to close the gap at the bridge ends by overlapping the mainland and bridge wire.

A notable exception was the New Haven’s bridge at Cos Cob which had no wire with trains coasting across it. Approaching the bridge, the wire went up to a height above the maximum extension of the pantographs eventually losing contact. Coast across and then under the similarly high wire which came down until contact was re-established.

-- Larry Stone
   Sent from my iPad