licensing locomotive types

Sun Jan 7 13:32:07 EST 2024

Did railroads (N&W specifically) have to pay any type of licensing to
Alco/Richmond, etc... when they began building their own locomotives that
were a continuation of a class that they previously bought (or that was
produced for other roads) from one of the loco builders?  I guess the E2b
and the M2's come to mind. Or the K1 - not sure who was building Mountains
at that date, but I would assume all the builders?  Certainly the S1/S1a
class.

I'm not quite clear if the Y1 to Y2 would be a continuation of anything
more than the wheel arrangement?

Or am I just seeing what happened 100 years ago through the lense of
today's business/legal standards?

Mike Rector