Did the N&W Ever Use Ground Storage for Commercial Coal ?

Thu Jan 4 12:38:14 EST 2024

Most definitely at Sandusky (that would be post-1964 since that’s when N&W acquired the PRR Columbus - Sandusky line (trivia: the interlocking in Bucyrus where that line crossed the PRR Ft. Wayne main was COLSAN - COLumbus - SANdusky).

During the winter when Lake Erie was frozen and closed to navigation, coal was dumped on the ground for storage until spring when ship traffic resumed. Despite working there almost two years as an Asst. Trainmaster, I never actually observed the ground storage part of the operation other than seeing the piles (if they were dumping, there were empties accumulating in the empty yard blocking the view).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com