Flat Top Re: multiple steam locomotives

Sun Dec 24 21:49:47 EST 2023

Jim,

What Chris and Jim said.

As for filling out at Flat Top (Yards, VA/WV), any eastbound freight
might stop because the ruling grade had dropped from 1.4% back at
Elkhorn Tunnel to 1.22% ahead into Bluefield Yard.

The ETT called for eastbound local freights and mine runs to stop and
fill out, specifically the Bluestone Local and Bluestone mine runs that
set off westbound cars at Flat Top or nearby Mullins Middle Track.

However, eastbounds often did not stop or mine runs would set off their
loads and run light back to Bluefield Yard if: that yard was busy,
avoiding a short train from blocking off a yard track; the EB Main was
busy; or the crew was running close on their time. Later, an Elkhorn
crew with a Pokey Pusher would back out of Bluefield to Flat Top and
pick up all east loads.

To All a Merry Christmas,

Grant Carpenter