Does Anybody Remember A Particular N&W Railroad Police Officer?

Sun Dec 17 10:15:31 EST 2023

Bill

That was Joe. I have forgot how to spell his last name but think it was
Bryum.  I first met Joe in the early 60's when he was on Roanoke
Terminal. I found Joe to be a very decided in his work and helpful with
any problem.

As I recall he was a former VGN employee.  Back in the early 60's the
railroad had a big problem with shipments of new automobiles. They were
often stripped of parts during shipment in those open cars.  The N&W
police would inspect the cars as they arrived in a terminal to help pin
point the trouble spots.  Even the agents and operators along the route
would check for any lights that were on inside the cars and report the
location.  They even had instantiates where a hobo would ride in the
car.  I guess they called that First Class.  Anyway, Joe would inspect
every inbound train with autos while the train was pulling in the yard.
If he spotted a problem he would make a detailed inspection.   The
enclosed auto cars helped eliminate this problem.

Joe was a friend and a real gentleman.

Jim Blackstock