Dwight Coaling Station

Sun Dec 17 07:28:54 EST 2023

Ed

I think you are confusing Dwight, which is 39 miles from Norfolk, just east of Zuni and 90 miles east of Crewe, with Phoebe, which is just east of Lynchburg, 61 miles west of Crewe and 68 miles east of Roanoke.

I had looked for a reference to the last time Phoebe was listed as a coaling station in the timetables, but cannot find my notes at the moment.

Best
Ken Miller

<<Gordon -
How long did the Dwight facility operate?  it's my understanding that when they  when they           put on 77 and 78 that they had to put a fresh engine on at Crewe for the return trip because there was no main line coaling station east of Roanoke and one engine couldn't make it from Roanoke to Petersburg and back without taking coal comewnere; taking the engine off at Cterwe to coal it would take too much time, so they just put a fresh engine on to go back to Roanoke.
That was still a remarkable run for coal burning steam locomotives - 900 miles from Portsmouth to Petersburg and back using just four locomotives, and they could have done it with three if they could have coaled east of Roanoke.
- Ed King