Mine Shifter Location?

Sat Dec 16 10:10:43 EST 2023

 Yes, this is Borderland Collieries.  The mine was over in Kentucky, as you can see to the right in the picture. The coal was trammed over to the West Virginia concrete tipple by the massive bridge  It was originally owned by a group of Roanoke investors led by Edwin Stone of Stone Printing, next door to the N&W Headquarters Buildings and across the street from Hotel Roanoke.  I once bought an N&W "lamp" from a Mrs. Joseph, who lived in the superintendent's house and operated an antique shop in the garage.  All this complex stood until the four-lane improvement of US 52/119 in the 'Eighties. A few company houses remain in the bottom toward (east) Williamson; otherwise, not a trace is left.  The 2136 was one of a handful of Y6 engines used on shifters during the last of steam; 2154, 2123 and 2190 were others.

 Chris is probably correct on Borderland. See following image (Uses in Alex "N&W in West Virginia" book). Location looks the same to me!

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=197195
- Roger Link

John,
My best guess is Borderland just west of Williamson based on old pictures that I saw at some point.   It’s an awesome picture.  I’m thinking this is really late in the Steam era for a straight Y6 to be working a mine shifter.  Could this be the 2136?
Thank Ya’n Out,
Chris Dalton
Bluefield, WV
Sent from my iPhone