Mountain State Railroad and Logging Historical Society

Thu Dec 14 16:23:17 EST 2023

I suspect that some NWHS members are knowledgeable about the Mountain
State Railroad and Logging Historical Society and its fine journal, _The
Log Train_, that has chronicled the railroad scene in West Virginia for
some forty years.  Some NWHS members may even have dual memberships in
the these two organizations, as I have.  Imagine my surprise when I
received the latest issue of _The Log Train_ with the header on the
front cover, "THE LAST-EVER ISSUE!"

An accompanying letter explained that the termination of the MSR&LHS was
being recommended to its members for several reasons, including no
editor for the Journal, difficulty get anyone to serve on the board, the
demise of several researchers, and the change of the Cass Scenic
Railroad from WV state operation to a private operator in 2015.  This
last action curtailed many activities of the MSR&HS, such as sponsoring
special events of interest to railfans at Cass and the restoration of
Climax steam locomotive No. 9 by MSR&HS members in the Cass Restoration
Shop (I even made several weekend trips to Cass to help with the
restoration in a vary amateurish way!).

Although there are many differences between the NWHS and the MSR&LHS,
the impending demise of the the latter should be noted.

Gordon Hamilton