Early A #1201 in 1936

Wed Dec 6 10:00:15 EST 2023

I wonder if that cover was simply a debris guard to reduce wear of the valve crosshead and combination lever pivots.

Mike, the International Correspondence School book on Baker valve gear calls the rod in question simply “valve rod”. Until I looked it up, I (like you) figured it was called a radius rod - even though that term doesn’t technically make sense for non-Walschaerts gear.

Now that I’m paying attention, I suspect I’ll see those two terms used interchangeably.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

Mike,

I cannot answer your specific question, but I did note that these covers were applied, when built, at least through #1212 based on the builder photo.

I can only image how please Mr. Perry must have been to encounter the 1201 since there were only two in existence at the time. The 1201 wasn't even two months old at the time of this photo. This photo also shows the early style of Class 'A' cylinder plate fairly well.

John Garner
Newport, VA

In this Otto Perry Image from 08/04/36, we see 1201 at Roanoke.
What was the purpose of the 'covers' over the radius bar (is that the right name on Baker, too?) and combination lever?
It looks like it is mounted to the valve stem guides?
https://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/65065/rec/10
Mike Rector